For a quick and light lunch or dinner nothing better than healthy, protein packed fish baked with lemon and thyme for a fresh yet delicious Mediterranean taste. Best with salad or grilled vegetables, especially fresh or grilled tomatoes, which complement the fish wonderfully!
Sadly I don’t make fish that often at home, and one of the main reasons for that is that I fear having that lingering fish smell in the house. You know that smell you just can’t get rid of even after hours of airing the house and having left the kitchen windows open. Well this recipe just showed me that cooking (or baking) fish doesn’t need to be smelly.
I love how quick and easy this recipe is: you put everything (the fish, the onion, lemon and thyme) in a dish, cover well with tin foil (not only will it keep the smell in, but it makes the fish incredibly juicy and flavourful as well) and bake for about 12-20 minutes depending on your oven and the thickness of the fish fillet, leaving you enough time to make a salad, grill some vegetables or steam some rice, and bam! Your lucnh/dinner is ready to be savoured!
A delicious, healthy and flavourful meal ready in less than 30 minutes. It doesn’t get better than that, does it?
This fish has a very clean, simple taste, therefore it is perfect with salad or grilled veggies (especially tomatoes, zucchini and mushroom) if you want a light meal, but goes well with your favourite sauce as well. I like how versatile and basic it is, you can make it your own depending on your personal taste and preference: I ate it with grilled veggies and a tomato salad, while Boyfriend had it with steamed brown rice, a tarragon mustard sauce plus some grilled vegetables.
I cannot wait to make variations on this recipe and add some tomato, olives and other vegetables under the tin foil and have them infuse the taste of the fish even more intensely.
- 1 onion sliced
- 2 firm white fish fillets (tilapia, snapper, cod, etc.) (about 6 ounces each)
- 2 tablespoon virgin olive oil
- sea or Himalayan salt
- 1 small handful of fresh thyme leaves (or 1 tablespoon of dried thyme)
- juice of ½ lemon
- ½ lemon sliced
- Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Lightly oil a ceramic pan or dish (or any dish that can go in the oven) and place the onion slices in the pan.
- Wash the fish and pat them dry. Place the fish atop the onion, squeeze the juice of half a lemon on the fish.
- Rub the fish with salt and sprinkle with thyme (both sides!).
- Put lemon slices and addutional thyme sprigs/leaves on top of the fish, cover with tin foil so the steam does not escape and bake until the fish is cooked through, about 12-20 minutes, depending on the thickness of the fish.
- Serve with rice and grilled vegetables or fresh (tomato) salad. Enjoy!
What is your favourite way to cook fish?