An easy yet unusual and extraordinary combination of juicy strawberries filled up with lavender infused coconut whipped cream, a light yet unforgettable summer dessert treat, that adults and kids alike will devour.
Seeing the first strawberries appear on the farmers’ market always makes me smile. Not only because the bright red fruits are cheerful with their cute green leaf-hats (though they are), but because it means that summer is just around the corner! And who doesn’t rejoice at the thought of long summer nights, BBQing in the garden, the palette of fresh fruits and colourful salads? *mmm*
From the moment I see them appear I start to have more and more plans: that I’ll make strawberry citrus lemonade, that I’ll make strawberry-rhubarb jam, strawberry-coconut pie, strawberry-apple galette, and I could go on. The only problem is that strawberry season is over before I get around to realize all my strawberry-baking plans. *sighs* (ETA: Actually this post was in the making for several weeks, I just got around to select and edit the photos, and strawberry season is almost over.)
The past weekends I got busy, not wanting to miss out on much: I made layered strawberry cream cheese dessert, vanilla strawberry-rhubarb jam (that was so popular with anyone who tasted it, that I had to make another batch with elderflower and another with lavender – recipes to be posted soon, until then, you can find all recipes with strawberries here).
So I was busy making the most of the boxes of strawberries I bought, yet I wasn’t tired of strawberry. I was up for tasting another strawberry themed treat but after so many hours spent in the kitchen I was looking for a quick and easy to make dessert.
I looked for inspiration in Christina Ross’ Love Fed, which feature “Purely Decadent, Simply Raw, Plant-Based Desserts”.
Let me tell you that I spent a good time reading through the recipes and looking at the gorgeous photos, and though there are many recipes I have bookmarked to try out later, this time I decided on Christina’s lavender coconut cream-filled strawberries as they filled the bill to perfection: the perparation didn’t take long, I had all the ingredients at home and the combination of the different tastes weas too tempting, I had to try it.
And I have to say the tartness of the strawberries with the creamy sweetness of the coconut cream spiced up with the fragrant lavender blossoms was definitely an extraordinary yet simple dessert.
You can use any left-over cream as a special flavoured whipped cream, it will complement brownies or fruit tartlets/crisps wonderfully.
Another variation I could see once the weather turns truly hot: mix cut up mint leaves in the coconut cream to add some icy freshness to the mix!
- 15-20 bigger strawberries hulled (only 18 fit on my plate)
- 2 cups chilled coconut cream (the rich, heavy kind not the light, liquid cream!)
- ¼ tsp vanilla powder or vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp coconut sugar (or honey/maple syrup - just be mindful so that it doesn't make the cream runny)
- 1 and ½ tsp fresh or dried lavender blossoms (if using dried lavender, leave it steep in the cream filling for 1-2 hours for the blossoms to release their scent and taste)
- Wash and hull the strawberries, then set them aside on a plate.
- Pour the chilled coconut cream in a bowl and beat it with your mixer in low speed until fluffy (for the best results chill the coconut cream for a few hours or even overnight, and chill your bowl and mixer as well).
- Once the coconut cream is almost whipped, add the vanilla powder, coconut sugar and lavender blossoms and beat until well incorporated.
- Fill a pastry bag with the cream and pipe enough cream in the hulled out strawberries so some cream pokes out at the top.
- Garnish with additional lavender blossoms, cacao nibs or black chia seeds if you wish.
- May be served immediately or stored in the fridge for up to 2 days.
Adapted from Christina Ross' Lavender and Coconut Cream-filled Strawberries recipe featured in her Love Fed cookbook.
I received a review copy of Love Fed via NetGalley, my opinion of the recipe and the cookbook are purely my own. I plan on making a bit more detailed review of the cookbook soon.
You can buy Love Fed at most retailers like Amazon and Book Depository (free international shipping!).
You’ve been totally busy with strawberries! I love this idea of filling them with a lightly lavendered cream. Sounds so fresh and delicious – pinned!