Delicious crunchy bacon wrapped around some fresh green asparagus, it truly is the best of both worlds!
I am a fanatic asparagus-lover. In my book it simply isn’t possible to eat too much asparagus. All year-round when I visit my grandma and she cooks lunch for me, I can bet she’ll serve me asparagus soup as it’s my favourite (so she freezes a whole bunch when it’s in season to be able to cook it for me whenever I visit). 🙂 My only problem with asparagus is that it’s available for only such a short time. *sighs*
So when I spied big piles of vibrant green asparagus at the farmers’ market I bought 7! (yes, seven) bunches just to stock up on asparagus and even freeze some for later. (Few weeks later I can tell you that sadly (or maybe not so sadly) not one of those 7 bunches ended up in my freezer 😉 ).
I have read of this appetizer a few years ago for the first time and I knew it must taste amazing. What’s not to like: crispy salty bacon with fresh asparagus in the same bite, yum!
So even though I was limiting my meat-intake and focusing on a more plant-based diet, I couldn’t resist not giving this recipe a try, and as you can see on the photos it ended up so well, that I could only salvage a few bacon-wrapped asparagus for the shoot and had to complete the mostly empty plate with ‘plain’ grilled asparagus. It is that good! 😉
Besides the flavourful taste, what I love about this recipe is how utterly simple it is: you wrap your asparagus in bacon, put them in the oven and half an hour later ta-da, crispy bacon-wrapped asparagus ready to be snacked upon!
It would be my new favourite appetizer to serve to guests, if only asparagus was available year-round… 🙁
Well, I’ll just have to make the most of it while I can. I urge you to do the same and try this recipe, I’m sure your guests (and you) will love it! 🙂
- 20 stalks of asparagus
- 10 strips of bacon
- (any quantity is fine, you just have to have half as many strips of bacon as you have of asparagus)
- If you bought fresh green asparagus there is usually no need to peel them, just cut off 2 inches (cc. 4 cm) of the bottom of the stems after having washed them. (If the asparagus is not that fresh you might want to peel it.)
- Cut the bacon strips in half so you have just as many thin bacon strips as many asparagus stalks you have.
- Wrap one bacon strip around each asparagus stalk.
- Place the bacon-wrapped asparagus stalks on parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 20-30 minutes on 400 F (200 Celsius), or until the bacon is crisp.
- Enjoy as an appetizer or as a side-dish, it is best while still warm.
Recipe from Stellicious Life. All images and content are copyright protected. Please do not use my images without prior permission. If you want to republish this recipe, please re-write the recipe in your own words and link back to this post for the recipe. Thank you.
Do you like asparagus? Any good asparagus recipe you can recommend?
I’m always looking for some new ones to try.
[…] no secret, anyone who knows me knows that I love asparagus. When it’s in season, you can always find one or two bunches in my fridge (there was even a […]